Translate

Saturday, June 16, 2012

How to Create your Own Polymer Clay Buttons


I always have problems finding large buttons for my neck warmers and when I finally find some they are too expensive. So I decided to make my own in the size, shape or colors I need. 
Went on and did some research and found out that I could create buttons using polymer clay. At first I was like really clay! and was asking my self will they hold the daily wear and tear? and how about washes?. Well did the test and guess what they do hold very nicely. They do have a rubbery feel to them after they're done and wouldn't recommend putting them in the dryer even though I haven't try it. 
Now I make all the buttons I need. I really enjoy making the marble ones because each of them are very special and unique. No need to waste time looking for that perfect button in the perfect color. 

I want to share this little discovery with you. Hopefully this tutorial helps all of you that may have the same problem I had. I try to make it as simple as possible for you to understand and added as many pictures as possible. 

Items you'll need
NOTES:
*An old cookie sheet will do.
*Same with the rolling pin or you can use any smooth can or object instead
*I use a glass cutting board but one of those flexible plastic ones that you find in any dollar store will do


Notes:
*Cookie cutters are great if you want a flower shape or any other fun shape. I prefer simple better.

Notes:
*I like using the Sculpey brand because I find it to be the more economical brand(about $2 each) and you get the same results as with other brands
*You will need 2 different colors of your choice for the marble ones or just 1 for solid.
Now let the fun begin :)


                             








Remember they'll have a rubbery feel to them after they have cool down.

Now have some fun creating your very own buttons.
Please let me know if this tutorial help or if you have any problems with it.
Zaira ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is fantastic! I had no clue whatsoever that you could 'bake' your own button and they look so pretty!
    Also, I do remember your search for the perfect buttons in the past so I'm happy you can now make them yourself =)

    ReplyDelete